The role of the Transition Manager in IT
The IT sector brings together companies as varied as software publishers or companies specializing in securing or storing data.
A complex and technical sector, IT requires increasingly specialized and high-level skills.
The profiles of experienced developers, for example, are in high demand and companies sometimes struggle to recruit IT engineers to take on these functions.
The Transition Manager specializing in IT therefore brings very significant added value.
On a specific mission requiring specific skills, the use of interim management will prove profitable for a company.
Why hire an IT Transition Manager?
The interim manager specializing in IT has dual technical and managerial skills.
The Transition Manager can intervene in the following areas by bringing their IT expertise to the project:
- Integration of an IT project internally within the company,
- Development of an IT project: development and putting online of a solution, implementation of new functionalities, etc.,
- Training/transition of an IT manager to an operational management role (IT department or service),
- Integration of an IT manager internally in a company (recruitment, training, transfer of skills),
- Definition and management of change such as the implementation of new functionalities on an existing solution,
- Strategy and organization consulting activity,
- Implementation of projects, recruitment of a dedicated team and training of users: human resources management of the dedicated team.
Data security issues, which are increasingly complex and sensitive, also require dedicated skills.
In this context, the Transition Manager will assume the following missions:
- Definition of the data security strategy and implementation of processes,
- Definition of the policy for data exchange, security and integrity of exchanges,
- Definition of the device security policy,
- The definition of the training policy for users and educational monitoring,
- Installation/commissioning of new equipment.
What positions for a Transition Manager in IT?
In IT, the Transition Manager is generally hired in the following professions:
- Management of Web projects (development of portals, e-commerce sites, Intranet, Extranet): development, maintenance, site engineering. The role of the Transition Manager will then be to ensure the proper implementation of projects: traceability of activities, skills of stakeholders, administrative and logistical organization,
- Internet development (institutional site, e-commerce site, brand site, etc.): project monitoring including the recruitment of a dedicated team. The interim manager will then have to analyze the needs of the project, recruit a development team, monitor their activity, their organization and structure their team around the project. The Transition Manager will intervene on the definition of technical needs, recruitment of a development team, project monitoring, etc.,
- Management of application development projects: management of the activity with multiple teams. The interim manager is then required to manage several different stakeholders and to analyze the needs,
- User support and assistance: installation of technical tools for users, training in technical tools, recruitment and training of the team,
- Management of development projects: project follow-up including in particular the recruitment of a dedicated team. The interim manager must then analyze the needs of the project and recruit a development team. He will be in charge of performance management and skills development,
- Administration of networks and systems: management of computer equipment, installation/update of software, setting up of backups, maintenance of systems,
- Application development (Sage ERP, CRM, ERP, BPM)
- Development of websites and mobile applications (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone),
- Software engineering: creation of protocols and unit tests,
- Management of a group’s IT department: performance management,
- Development of embedded applications (enterprise information systems).
What skills for a Transition Manager in IT?
A Transition Manager specializing in IT must have the following skills:
- Project management: management of development projects while respecting deadlines and budget, monitoring of performance and skills and management of a team of engineers,
- Technical skills based on significant experience in production management: management of computer equipment, backup implementation, system maintenance, software deployment and network administration,
- Managerial skills and sense of pedagogy to effectively train employees on the use of the new solution,
- Ability to manage a team of 10 to 15 people, foresight to anticipate technological developments and carry out the project,
- Ability to manage a complex project under tight deadlines.
What price for a Transition Manager in IT?
An interim manager specializing in IT represents a cost of approximately €2,000 per day for a company.
This cost is scalable according to various parameters: size of the company, size of the team, technical and functional environment of the company, situation in time, profile of the manager and level of technical and managerial skills required.